SHARING SUKA SUKA

Gudang Ilmu dan Media Sharing

Total Pageviews

Monday 28 July 2014

MATERI KULIAH TENTANG RELATIVE CLAUSE KATA PENGHUBUNG

CLAUSE
There are so many kinds of sentences such as complex sentence is a sheaf between two sentences (main clause and sub clause). Clause is a group of words containing subject and verb. There are three kinds of complex sentences: noun clause, adverbial clause and adjective clause. Noun clause is used as a subject or an object, in other words clause in the same ways as a noun. Adjective clause also called relative clause describes, identifies, ore gives further information about a noun. A relative clause is a kind of subordinate clause, one of whose arguments shares a referent with a main clause element on which the subordinate clause is grammatically dependent. Typically, a relative clause modifies a noun or noun phrase, and uses some grammatical device to indicate that one of the arguments within the relative clause has the same referent as that noun or noun phrase. 
A. Using subject pronouns : who, which, that
The relative pronoun may be the subject of its own clause. A relative clause in the subject pattern is formed with:
Who
Which+ Verb + complement
That 
  I thanked the women.
 she helped me 
I thanked the girl who helped me
I thanked the girl that helped me Who is the subject of the adjective clause.
That is the subject of the adjective clause
The book is mine. 
It is on the table
The book which on the table is mine
The book that is on the table is mine
Who: used for people
Which : used for things
That: used for both people snd things
Examples : 
1. I saw the man. He closed the door .
 I saw the man who closed the door.
 I saw the girl  that  closed the door
2. The girl is happy. She won the race.
The girl is happy that won the race.
The girl is happy who won the race. 
3. The student is from china. He sits next to me.
 The student is from china that sits next to me.
 The student is from china  who sits next to me. 
4. I am using a sentence. It contain an adjective clause.
5. The taxi driver was very friendly. He took me to the campus
A. Using object pronouns: who (m), which, that
The relative pronoun may be the object of its own clause. A relative clause in the object pattern is formed with:
Whom
Which + subject + verb + complement
That 

girl was Mr. Jones.
I saw him
1. The girl who (m) I saw was Mr. Jones
2. The man that I saw was Mr. Jones.
Who is usually used instead of whom, especially in speaking. Whom  is generally used only in very formal English. 
            The movie wasn’t very good.
We saw it last night
1. The movie which we saw last night wasn’t very good
2. The movie that we saw last night wasn’t very good

Who: used for people
Which: used for things
That: used for both people and things
B. Possessive relative pronoun
These clauses are used to shows possession. It carries the same meaning as other possessive pronouns used as adjective. His, her, its, and their.  At with other relative clauses, they may be used a subject or a object. When used as a subject, the whose + noun phrase is the subject of this clause. It pattern is formed with:
Whose + noun + verb + complement
                              I know the man
His bicycle was stolen
1. I know the man whose bicycle was stolen
The student writes well
I read her composition
2. The student whose composition  I read writes well
Whose usually modifies people but it also may be modify things.
C. Using where
Where + pronoun + verb + complement
          The building is very old
          He lives there (in that building)
1. The building where  he lives is very old
2. The building in which  he lives is very old
3. The building which he lives in  is very old
4. The building  that he lives in is very old
If where is used, a preposition is not included in the adjective clause. If where is not used, the preposition must be include
D. Using when
I’II never forget the day.
I met you then (on that day)
I’II never forget the day when I met you
E. Punctuation of adjective clause

No comments:

Post a Comment